Articles, News and Videos | Web Sites | Books and CDs
Sign-up to receive new resource alerts via e-mail
Articles, News and Videos
- Migraines - New Treatments and Therapies, Pain Pathways Magazine
- "Essentials of Healthy Living" Radio Show, by Village Green Apothecary, October 28 2012 (MP3)
Topic: Pain Connection - Support for Chronic Pain Sufferers and their Families
Special guest: Gwenn Herman is a Licensed Certified Clinical Social Worker and Diplomate in Clinical Social Work
Download MP3 iTunes
- The Sleep/Pain Connection 07/07/12 Podcast, Dr. Paul Christo, Aches and Gains
More than 70 million Americans suffer from some sort of sleep disturbance. In fact, almost 70% of those suffering from pain complain of sleep problems. The relationship is reciprocal: pain often disrupts sleep, and poor sleep can worsen pain. We all need healthy sleep to revitalize us, and when pain is the thief robbing us of that treasured sleep, it’s time to seek special medical help.
Dr. William Kohler may have just the right medicine. He is the Medical Director of the Florida Sleep Institute in Spring Hill, Florida. With over 44 years of experience, he brings a great deal of insight into this quest for a good night’s sleep.
Gwenn Herman is the Executive Director of the Pain Connection, a chronic pain outreach center in Rockville, Maryland. She has a personal understanding of chronic pain. A serious automobile accident instigated a cascade of painful symptoms that have made sleep a nightly struggle. She’s made great strides, however in finding a routine that’s helped her feel rested.
- Docs In Progress filmed a documentary on Pain Connection. View it!
- Beyond Bedside Manner by Jeannie Counce, from INFUSION Magazine, Sept/Oct 2011, National Home Infusion Association.
- County Cable Montgomery (CCM) Seniors Today Show Episode #111 - Montgomery County Commission on Aging Public Policy Committee (on Legislation), Pain Connection, and Creative Fitness Zumba classes for seniors. The interview with Gwenn Herman starts at minute 11:00. View Video.
- One Woman’s Answer to Chronic Pain Management: How Therapy and Support Helped the Hurt by Fran Smith, Special to Lifescript, published May 20, 2011
- Sweet relief: Alternative medicine gives chronic pain sufferers new hope, by Fiona J. Kirk, The Daily, May 2, 2011
- Pain Connection moves to Rockville's Nonprofit Village, Gazette.Net, October 14, 2009
- Support groups created to help chronic pain sufferers regain control, by Meghan Tierney, Gazette.Net, Maryland Community Newspapers Online, May 27, 2009
- Potomac group receives grant to battle pain, Gazette.Net, Maryland Community Newspapers Online, February 4, 2009
- Pain Connection Named Recipient of the Healthcare Initiative Foundation, Press Release December 9, 2008
The Healthcare Initiative Foundation has awarded Pain Connection a grant to increase the pool of trained mental health professionals to meet the unique psychosocial needs of chronic pain sufferers and their families in Montgomery County.
- Holiday Pain by A. Seraphina Lin, Dec 05, 2008
How the holidays have changed for those in pain.
- American Pain Foundation names September pain awareness month, Gazette.Net, Maryland Community Newspapers Online, Sept. 10, 2008
- Pain sufferers get relief: Potomac woman leads efforts to raise awareness
by Erin Donaghue, Gazette.Net, Maryland Community Newspapers Online, Wednesday, July 16, 2008.
- Elusive Battle: Pain — and Skepticism — Still Plague Fibromyalgia Patients
by Carolyn Cosmos, The Washington Diplomat, May 2008.
- Pain Connection Emerges from Personal Struggle with Pain Pain Community News, Fall 2007, page 3.
- Potomac Resident Selected as Pain Awareness Leader by the American Pain Foundation.,
Gazette.Net, Maryland Community Newspapers Online, November 14, 2007.
- Make a Difference, on Montgomery County Cable Channel 6.
Pain Connection was highlighted on the show on May 27, 2006 at 3:30 PM with Gwenn Herman, Director and Geoffrey Manifold, Board Member. Watch the show to learn about volunteer opportunities providing both direct services to residents and support services in the Housing Opportunities Commission offices.
- "Groups help one cope with untreatable pain" by Daniel Groner, published in the Senior Beacon, Washington, D.C. edition, July 2006.
- Gwenn Herman, the Founder and Director of Pain Connection, spoke at the Maryland Chapter of the National Association of Social Workers
Annual Conference, March 31, 2005. Her topic: "Making the Invisible Visible: Treating Chronic Pain".
- Stopping The Hurt by January W. Payne, The Washington Post, Tuesday, January 4, 2005.
Gwenn Herman knows chronic pain -- the regular backaches, the stiffness and freezing of her neck after her 1995 car accident, the pain that didn't respond, or responded inconsistently, to prescription and nonprescription painkillers. That's why she learned, long before last month's rash of safety alerts about three commonly used pain medications, to explore alternative treatments like meditation, guided imagery and breathing exercises.
- 2004 Psychotherapy Networker Symposium. Workshop #714-512 "Invisible Injury-Treating Chronic Pain", Presented by Gwenn Herman and Cat McClannan, order a cassette or CD from http://www.iplaybacknetworker.com/product/458/46.
- Greenbelt support group a salve for sufferers by Laura C. Jackson, Special to The Gazette Sept. 16, 2004
Gwenn Herman used to work full time, play racquetball and lead an active social life with her children. All that changed after a car accident.
- Herman helps those living in pain by Monica Wraga Soladay, The Gazette, March 10, 2004
- Chronic pain group starts in Greenbelt The Gazette, June 5, 2003
- What Hit Me? How families are affected by a parent's chronic pain by Gwenn Herman, published in Kidspeace Healing Magazine, Spring/ Summer 2000, pages 44-47.
- Medical definitions of the various doctors/specialists and tests/procedures
- Amazon.com Online Bookstore Pain Connection gets a small percentage of the purchase price of anything you buy through this link.
Pain Connection does not endorse any of the above links - we are supplying them for informational purposes only.